Wednesday, November 4, 2009

REPRESETING AFRICA


pecially his motherland, Tanzania in this year’s edition of the BET Hip Hop Awards, which was broadcasted on October 27 on BET (Black Entertainment Television) in the USA.


When asked by Emcee Africa presenter Lee Kasumba about his experience of recording the Cypher segment as some of you saw it during the broadcast Gsan had this to say:


“Well, the Cypher segment was recorded in New York before the actual award ceremony. For me, it was just amazing to be there with people like Eminem, KRS One, DJ Premier playing the beats, and being able to showcase what I had. Many people were blown away with what I did and asked me why I rhymed in Swahili ’cause they wanted to understand. I was just like ‘English is not my first language, I speak it, I love it but you will be able to mess me up if I rhyme in English’. There were emcees from all over the world in one setting, and I was happy to represent for Africa. I wasn’t starstruck, just glad to showcase what I did and could do with my American counterparts. I mean, think of it, we really have the same names, just one word changes, African American and African, do you understand what that means
GSAN(middle) with KRS ONE(right) and DJ Premier(left) in New York City.


BC SALUTES YOU GSAN and the entire X-Plastaz crew

No comments:

Post a Comment